The dangers of grass seeds 

The warmer weather is here and as wonderful as the summer months are, there are a few natural dangers around for our beloved pets that we need to watch out for.  One in particular is grass seeds. The sharp, arrowhead shaped seed can penetrate the animals skin, most commonly their paws, between their toes, under their tail, their armpits, their ears, eyes and noses in fact ANY part of their body and continue to move up the skin and into the body. They can end up anywhere in the body, including internal organs which of course can cause long term problems or even fatality.

If a grass seed has entered the skin, the dog or cat will lick or bite the area and often a painful lump or abscess will form. If you see the tail of the seed it would be worth trying carefully to pull it out but if there is a swelling then veterinary attention is needed.

Similarly, if your pet is shaking their head and/or pawing at their ears, sneezing or has weeping eyes, this may  indicate that a seed has become lodged inside. It has probably penetrated too deeply for you to easily get it out yourself, so it will require a trip to the vet to remove it before it can do any serious damage.

 

Every  year we have a few cases of dogs, coming into the kennels with imbedded grass seeds, resulting in them having to have surgery to remove them.      Please check every part of your pet, especially after walks and do not underestimate how dangerous an undetected seed can be to your pets health.

 

So please check every part of your pet regularly, especially after walks and do not underestimate how dangerous an undetected seed can be to your pets ‘health.